Godsmack Member Hospitalization Revealed


Godsmack frontman Sully Erna recently talked about his recent health scare. Prior to Godsmack’s headlining performance at WJRR’s Earthday Birthday 28 on Saturday, April 23 in Orlando, Florida, the band frontman opened up to Pat Lynch and Taco Bob from 101.1 WJRR about his recent battle with the virus that caused the global pandemic.

He said that he got very sick and no improvement was shown for several weeks. Here is what he said: “I got very sick. I was sick for five and a half weeks, but I was in the hospital for four days.”

Sully Erna opens up on his health

When asked if he thought he was going to get the disease and Erna, who is apparently unvaccinated, said: “I didn’t. I take really good care of myself. I’m a runner. I’ve boxed for over 20 years. And I’m onstage two hours a night. I have pretty big lungs, so even thinking if I was gonna get it, I figured I’d get sick like the normal flu get sick and then you push through it, but I definitely didn’t expect for it to knock me down the way it did.”

He continued that: “I just got some bad luck and bad timing. Part of it was I got hit during the Christmas holidays, so all my doctors were on vacation; there was only substitutes. They were kind of guiding me over the phone.”

He revealed that after he recovered from the disease, “pneumonia developed, and that’s what got me [really sick].” He also revealed how he ended up getting blood clots in his lungs. He added: “That’s when everything went down. It was pretty gnarly for a while because my oxygen had dipped to 76.”

He concluded: “So I was pretty emotional, pretty nervous about wondering if I was coming out of this. But thankfully I was in the shape that I was in, and my doctor thinks, like, that proved to him… He goes, ‘I know exactly how good of a shape you’re in now, because,’ he goes, ‘I’ve gotta tell you, man, when you came in, I was really nervous for you. And most people that come in in that condition, they don’t leave with a happy ending.'”

Erna’s personal battle with the deadly virus came less than a year after he said that the coronavirus was not as deadly as health officials have made it out to be.